Saturday, March 24, 2012

with eyes bigger than


with eyes bigger than

i'm familiar with exceptions,
with the unavailable.

i have many sweet teeth tucked under pillows,
(unable to leave) the last peppermints for others.
i swear, sharing comes easy to me,
except when a fucking addict is involved.

did you set up shop in my psyche
with unlocked windows, slashed screens?
you rage all night, strange halfdreams
complete with strobe lights & house music.
like a home filled with moths breeding
in the pantry, you hid for months
behind fog machines, in jars & folded sheets.

i'm regularly in love with slow humans 
who resemble caterpillars & maybe eggs, 
cocoon versions of the possible. like a biologist,
my curiosity fixates on migrations, antennae,
hypotheses. the unavailable corners of me
hide from a turn of the lens. tucked in attics,
under white coats, stacks of papers live
with words like this is a poem, sit down.
i am so in love with the idea of you,
stay. in and out you go, a breeze, a clap of
thunder, thursday. a stone
turned over and over in my hand.

you'd be as gentle as i can be
cruel, soft like something simple, a bed
of edible flowers, even your elbows,
your weak knees. outside a landlocked
bakery, i dream of elaborate pastries,
all false, a mirage on display.

sweetness has a cost and a thirst. i pace
the perimeter, take measurements
with the microscope. nothing computes
according to calculation. careful now,
dodging whispers of not enough,
my breath holds, my hand, unsatisfied, salty.
this desire grows blue & bluer.

could my eyes get any bigger, will my stomach
stop! backflips and nosedives

really, i shouldn't have swallowed
all those fancy butterfly looks. but they had
such shiny sugary wings

3.17.12

No comments:

Post a Comment