Wednesday, December 21, 2011

the stranger ghost



the stranger ghost

the muscle was death
a heart which was just
a cowbell a snare drum
swallowed in mouthfuls

water instead of air

my whole life for granted
now a flashing whisper
my life no longer a bike pump
now a bumping bassline

i fidget it speeds
i breathe it slows
your skin my skin
it disappears or it fast
breaks out of my chest

you crushed it with a cymbal
crash! goodbye! who would ever
stoop to put the word

good

before you? your foot
steps trampled my descriptors

it is rush hour
i could have been pushed
in front of the train
people turn their heads
adjust their i-centers
pods and phones
net and e-go there

no, that was a slow but certain
bus driven over my
body with wheels
that broke my bones, my bones

or was it a ship? a whale?

pretend i'm not a ghost
and i'll pretend you're not a stranger

your muscles twitched and spasmed
caught your eyes blazing, the sun of
september, it was evening, you needed
magnesium. instead you chose
an alibi. stop! you stopped holding
and squeezing long ago.

the two-person job was left
to the lifeguards, you quit that
shit, complaining of lousy pay, the sea's
low tides, insecurities with mustaches
and muscles.

the sea was having a normal
day, fully herself, ever-changing.
i sink float sputter swell.
she doesn't
recognize
you.

12.13.11

No comments:

Post a Comment