Monday, August 1, 2016

the traveler

by louise gluck from the seven ages

at the top of the tree was what i wanted.
fortunately i had read books:
i knew i was being tested.

i knew nothing would work --
not to climb that high, not to force
the fruit down. one of three results must follow:
the fruit isn’t what you imagined,
or it is but fails to satiate.
or it is damaged in falling
and as a shattered thing torments you forever.

but i refused to be
bested by fruit. i stood under the tree,
waiting for my mind to save me.
i stood, long after the fruit rotted.

and after many years, a traveler passed by me
where i stood, and greeted me warmly,
as one would greet a brother. and i asked why,
why was i so familiar to him,
having never seen him?

and he said,”because i am like you,
therefore i recognize you. i treated all experience
as a spiritual or intellectual trial
in which to exhibit or prove my superiority
to my predecessors. i chose
to live in hypothesis; longing sustained me.

in fact, what i needed most was longing, which you seem
to have achieved in stasis,
but which i have found in change, in departure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment