Saturday, June 23, 2012

will we work together?

will we work together?
by marge piercy

you wake in the early grey
morning in bed alone and curse
me, that i am only
sometimes there.  but when
i am with you, i light
up the corners, i am bright
as a fireplace roaring
with love, every bone in my back
and my fingers is singing
like a tea kettle on the boil.
my heart wags me, a big dog
with a bigger tail.  i am
a new coin printed with
your face.  my body wears
sore before i can express
on yours the smallest part
of what moves me.  words
shred and splinter.
i want to make with you
some bold new thing
to stand in the marketplace,
the statue of a goddess
laughing, armed and wearing
flowers and feathers.  like sheep
of whose hair is made
blankets and coats, i want
to force from this fierce sturdy
rampant love some useful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment