Wednesday, November 23, 2011

my life on fire



my life on fire

we've built it solid
wood all these years
no escape route
no water

some sticks
a bit of paper
words in shades of gray
the ordinary: journal page, love letter

it got hot sometimes
the candles got close
dry & windy
perfect night for a burn

it was my birthday
you had a cake
blazing a crush
in the front yard

what went up in smoke?
i missed it, it was so quick
we were not a prayer
this was asphyxiation

and i saw the light

the moon pulled its way into scorpio
with stakes wooden and high
you were just a six year spark
guess all that magic wasn't big enough

now the sun has entered the arc of fire
and i'm fit to be lit again
this time, my hand
this time, my choice

i lit the shit
the wicks, the leaves
the resin, braid of grass
i licked each thankful letter shut

counted from A for absolute
to D for dude
this is the after-death
nothing but teeth & bones

every petal drops it's wing
the dirt turns upon itself
i burn you out in anger
this time it's prayer

i burn myself through chants of death
down upper handed high roads
by my own clasped hands, i flash, i ignite
for once, for all

11/23/11

No comments:

Post a Comment